This project started out being a built in bookshelf, but the client decided to move the bookshelf out away from the wall to create a small room behind it to be used as a meditation and message area when taking a break from work.
As with most every project, I started out rough cutting the parts to the general size, usually just a little bigger than needed so I can let the wood move before milling and jointing to final thickness and size.
I used my shop made tapering jig to cut the top and bottom rails to start the angle for the trapezoid shaped glass accents. I have been thinking about getting the micro jig version. If anybody has one please let me know what you think of it in the comments below.
Once I had the angle figured out and the space divided into three equal parts, I cut the middle rails to fit, using my Incra HD1000.
I used the Domino XL with the largest tenons available for the joinery. I know some purists are going to have a fit because I used a Domino instead of traditional mortise and tenons, but on a project this size where I needed to build the built in bookcase as well. I needed a fast and accurate way to get the job done, and not hold up the rest of the site construction.
I lost some footage and photos of routing out for the glass panels, but basically I used a rabbeting bit from Rockler to create a rabbit for the glass to rest in. I went back and chiseled out the round corners to match the trapezoid angle. Then when I install the glass, it will be held in place with glass stop tacked with brad nails.
I used a porter cable hinge template #59381 to rout out the mortises for the hinges on the jamb and door. This template worked great to be sure everything lined up. When I was deciding what jig to use for this project, there was several reviews stating that this jig was not accurate. However, I found it to be accurate and worked great. After using the jig, I think those reviews may be based on user error not product quality, as there are some details to pay attention to when using this jig.
To rout out for the strike plate and mortise for the door latch I used the Porter cable Strike and latch template #59375. It was a good thing that this template was plastic, as do to me not paying attention I routed into the plastic on more than one occasion.
To drill the hole for the door knob I used the standard hole saw kit which is available just about everywhere.
If you would like to see more completion picture, or order a custom bookshelf or door. Please check out my website for custom built in bookcase with trapezoid door
Support For This BlogDON'T MISS A POST! GET RSS NOTIFICATIONS HERE
Subscribe! • Like! • Share!
Thank you for your support!